How to choose a dishwasher for your home?
It’s never easy to buy a home appliance and it’s particularly difficult to find a dishwasher. Most families prefer to invest in a model that can clean effectively and quickly. They also need a model that will clean the most dishes in a single load. However, the actual process of choosing a dishwasher is quite difficult as there are several best rated dishwashers in the industry at present. Most of them offer features that you might have never even have heard of and this can severely limit the way you choose and evaluate the machine.
You should know and understand the features that you want in your dishwasher. Most families also have a specific budget in mind too that will limit the appliances that they can purchase. If you are considering investing in a dishwasher or want to revamp your existing model, the following information should be able to help you out.
What features should the best rated dishwashers have?
There might be several features that are offered by dishwashing companies but we suggest each of the top rated dishwashers for features as stated below-
- Eco-ratings are essential to all appliances and especially for dishwashers which use a lot of water and energy to clean dishes. The best rated dishwashers should offer eco-conscious water conservation cycles, a weight assessment feature by which the machine can judge the weight of the dishes and then adjust water and dish cycle accordingly etc
- Energy savings in the form of energy star ratings and CEE Tier II ratings are essential. These ratings essentially mean that the machine uses lower than normal electricity resulting in a lower carbon footprint and substantial energy savings for the owners.
- Multi wash cycles by which utensils are automatically washed through a preset cycle by the machine.
- Powerful water jets which blast the food debris off the utensils and then drain the food debris into a garbage disposal section. A few machines can be connected to the sink disposal system too.
- For average sized families, a countertop dishwasher or a built-in dishwasher or even an 18-inch dishwasher can be very useful. As a result, size of a dishwasher can be very important. Larger commercial sized dishwashers are available for restaurants but they will cost more.
- Tub and capacity is important too. However, more companies now offer larger stainless steel tubs along with adjustable racks that are much more convenient.
- Temperature control is very essential too. Most dishwasher detergents are especially designed to release the cleaning agents at high heat to remove grease and food debris off the dishes. As a result, machines that use temperature controlled cycles and provide a special dishwashing detergent are particularly effective in cleaning dishes.
- Drying cycles are also important. Most machines will have a hot dry cycle by which the utensils are rapidly dried with hot air. Machines should also offer an option by which utensils can be dried through natural air drying.
Now that you know the basic features of a good dishwasher, you do have to choose between brands. Every company offers its own features and models and you can choose anyone that you like. No company will make a bad dishwasher but each will have its own advantages and disadvantages which you have to match to your particular needs.
Best Rated Dishwashers Brands and Features
To help you out, we’ve listed the top features of the main dishwasher brands in the market and evaluated individual machines that are the best. We suggest you use them as the benchmark for quality when you buy dishwasher models from that company. So here goes-
Amana is a purely local American brand that makes a range of high quality dishwashers. The company does not have many models but it does ensure that they are unique. A special design team creates models, colors and features that you will not find with any other company.
Currently their ADB1000AW and their ADB1400AW are the best with top of the line features. But do watch out for newer products that are released quite often.
Kitchenaid is a well known brand in America and they make super great kitchen appliances. The engines are hardy and long lasting and super easy to work with. As the company has several local branches, it’s very easy to find local service centers to repair and service the dishwashers.
Their best models include the KUDC03FVSS which is great value for the money and affordable too. Normally, you can’t go wrong with Kitchen Aid. They’ve been around for decades and their experience shows.
One of the most popular models is the Samsung DMR77 (DMR77LHS) which is top of the range but priced very low too. The machine is super-silent but it’s made of high quality stainless steel which is easy to clean too. Most of their models are good investments and the company offers a great service contract and maintenance deal on their appliances.
All GE appliances are high quality but their dishwashers are top of the line. We are currently using the GLDA690PBB which costs about $500. The machine is top of the line with nine wash cycles, adjustable racks, graded wash systems, hot start options, triple water filtration and probably the lowest amount of energy consumption per wash.
The machine can be purchased directly from Amazon and has a great discount. This is a great model and just about right for a large family who cooks a lot.
Bosch has an inbuilt silencer which makes their dishwasher one of the most silent models on the market at present. German engineered quality means that the appliances last for a long time. Almost all of their models are also covered with a five to ten year service warranty too.
We particularly liked the SHX9ER55UC and the SHX98M09UC models. These are high end models can be built into kitchen consoles and they are practically invisible.
Where To Get The Best Deal On Dishwashers?
We know that this might not be enough to help you make a decision. Take the time to read as many reviews as possible about dishwasher brands, models and features. We would also like to point out that machines may seem cheap but that does not mean that they are the best. You need your dishwasher to last for a very long time and only quality machines will wash well while still lasting for as long as possible. On an average, a good dishwasher should last for about eight to ten years provided you’ve cared for its properly.
Before purchase, make sure that you evaluate warranty dates and replacement policies of every brand. Most online vendor sites like Amazon offer the best deals on dishwashers. Amazon also offers free shipping along with installation deals on various models which can equate to huge savings.